Q&A part 3:
Leave questions underneath for answers in Q&A part 4!
answers for last time:
-Does that mean that all 4-letter characters are important?
> Only the ones that matter, but yes.
- Is Ariara well and truly vaporized, or do you plan on pulling a G.R.R.M. and leave it ambiguous until a later time because we "never found a body?"
> Well any normal person or spirit user hit directly by that blast would basically be reduced to charred bones, or at least a very well done serving of hard-to-identify-who.
Maybe with some absurd level of spiritual defence, combined with gold, anti-magic items or other means of decreasing the full force of the blast someone could come out alive ... but the end result still wouldn't be pretty.
- How is Burk's power classified? Free, potential, pandemonium or something else?
> Burk doesn't fall in any of the typical magical categories.
If he does weird things, surely there's something else going on. (not being tongue in cheek or lying, he's not a free magic, potential or pandemonium user)
>I'm guessing that there is another, undetectable kind of magic that regular people can access with training, exhibited by Lacey, Guy, Daryll, and Burk. Is this true, or are these guys just really skilled?
- Well the comic's general aesthetic and style are somewhat cartoony, so for particularly skilled fighters I make use of some exaggeration to make combat look more fun.
e.g. Lacey spinning around using his wires is just Lacey being really gifted at using his bodily motion in combat.
>What's in Hevel's mouth? If it's a cigarette, why isn't it ever lit?
- A good question, canonically many other characters actually do wonder as well.
>Mage Baron ok?
Burk dental plan?
If Burk 5 are 1, who 2?
- Mage Baron not ok.
- That would be useful yes, until then, missing tooth.
- IF there is a "2", they'll probably show up at some point.
> Right now we know that gold and black crystals like the one Tobi got in Death Run are good against magic users. But would they work against The Jugde and Piper Pol and the others who use the power of the Mage King as well or would they be useless?
- They would work because they specifically counter magic.
gold is unaffected by magic, and magic using a proxy like piper is still magic, so still won't affect gold.
black crystals prevent magic users from using their powers entirely, the same rule applies to proxies.
> The ghouls in Tobis story said they were adventurers like her and even said their respective classes. Will Tobi at a later date be able to choose a class just like in the dungeons back home as well?
- Well the question is, are they adventurers in the same way as Tobi was, with classes that give them actual "powers", or did they just make up the names?
If the second: yes Tobi could do that right now, and so could anyone else.
> What is the favorite food of Burk, Pablo, Noah, Aude, Tobi, Three and Herman?
Burk: Various cultural dishes that allow him to taste the local atmoshpere.
Pablo: various spicy dishes.
Noah: mostly plain dishes, seafood and rice.
Aude: When she's in a good mood she's actually mostly vegetarian!
Tobi: giant burgers the size of her head, alternatively: fast and light snacks that don't upset her stomach.
Three: does three even eat?
Herman: chicken and chocolate, not at once.
-How big is your buffer?
> usually between 230-260 pages.
-Will we get an explanation for the sudden 'Smart Burk' incident from page 887 to page 903?
> Maybe Burk is always smart but just pretending not to unless confronted by something he actually considers a threat ...
Or it was just a coincidental moment of insight.
-Are ghouls monsters or something else?
> I mean ...what counts as monsters?
- Why everyone is terrified of the ghouls?
> Y'know how beastmen are considered scary/dangerous, but have some base rules of engagement to avoid pissing them off?
Let's just say ghouls are known to be quite impulsive.
- Are there other survivors in the Smile game?
> You'll see!
- What comes next? 1,2,_
> Faceless man!
Like the previous news post, answers to the questions asked! spoilers left purposely ambiguous.
Feel free to ask more questions in the comments for future journal updates:
1. Hey, could you please do something about the expired discord invite? :)
> penguin can.
2. did you take inspiration from anything specific when created Ciel?
> Nothing specific I guess! I've seen some sort of mind creature/spirit in a lot of stories though.
3. On a scale from 1 to Q, What color does Burk smell like?
4. How old is Noah? And how old are the other sprogs from his saga?
> somewhere on the scale of 16 to 17, most of the other kids fall between 15-19.
5. Noah is ace, I can taste it. And who is Tom again?
> Tom is the protagonist of a little side comic called "tom rpg".
6. Who's going to kill Veda: Burk, Noah or Tobi?
7. Why does Aristocrat heal people?
> Why do you think the Aristocrat would want to keep people alive? The answer is straightforward.
8. How far is Tobi from Clover Coast? How far is Justopea from Clover Coast?
> Justopea is closer but they're both at a distance where the difference is fairly irrelevant.
9. How did the baron catch the Pirate of the Storm?
> He must've done something sneaky because she's probably one of the most difficult characters to capture from the current known cast.
10. How far can Ariara fly with her newly aquired gold properties and metal-controlling power? Can she cross the ocean?
> Most likely, she could already do so with limited access to metal; say a girder.
11. What would happen if Noah enters the mind of Three?
> good question.
12. Which members of Burk's family will not appear in the comic?
> The ones I feel would add nothing to show.
13. Why do all 3 heroes have 4-letter names?
> a coincidence that I've decided to make a pattern.
14. Out of the first three chapters, which one takes place 'first', in-comic time?
> There's at least some hints sprinkled through the story that give an estimation of the relative timeline, I know some readers have noticed 1 or 2.
15. Good one. Or would it be better to ask: how much time passed between each chapter?
> differs radically, ranges from minutes to days to weeks. Tobi's entire story in Lorg so far is basically spread over a day or so, while noah has over a month at the very least of content.
16. When are you going to get an actual aristocrat in brown clothes?
> no plans, but it could happen.
17. And why was Burk in and then fell from the sky?
> One of the biggest questions in the comic right now.
18. Why does Burk draw with crayons instead of writing to convey a message?
> he is an artist & thinks images speak a thousand words.
19. Do you have the entire script written for the story and are making the illustrations as you go? Or, are you creating both, chapter by chapter, based off of an outline?
> I have an outline for the general story + key characters, and flesh in the details for the next 2-3 chapters in a rough outline, then fill in the details when I get close to a new chapter.
Answer batch #1
You guys asked questions, here are my answers:
Will reply to any questions asked underneath this post in the next news post! keep em coming.
Is the aristocrat related in any way to this old man Noah & co. are about to lure?
-> On some deep biological level all humans are related.
Will "the magic girl" eventually realize her error of vastly underestimating Burk's great physical prowess?
-> The real question is, will she admit it once she does?
Do pigs actually fly?
-> At least one.
How in fact did Malhart Piccarto graffiti entire buildings anyway? Is he a giant who can reach the top story without issue?
-> Well *he* isn't a giant.
Will Ciel ever find love?
-> Only if it functionally increases Noah's chances of survival.
When will Burk's glorious plan from his first ever crayon drawings ever be completed? Has he inspired the aristocrat to do the same?
-> You're keen to observe the plan was left incomplete, what happened to step 5?
If the other old man was nice to Tobi after she fixed up his stuff, and this new old man cares for magical undesirables, would it be false to assume that all old men in this comic are inherently altruistic and nice?
-> Is the Judge nice too?
How likely is Burk to lose his pants in this upcoming arc?
Side note: I kind of want Noah to interact with Tuvi from Will Save World for Gold. I think their polar-opposite personalities will be of great fun and amusement.
-> Write fanfiction.
1. Are any of the characters from early Tobi's story entirely nonsentient 'NPC' types?
-> Yes but I won't specify how far I'm stretching the definition of 'character' for this answer.
2. Was what turned those pigs into giant monster pigs Free Magic xor a Pandemonium Power?
-> Depends on who turned them that way.
3. Is the Joy Cult coming back, xor was their inclusion mostly a nod to the original version of the comic where they were planned to come back?
-> My plans for them haven't changed from aptGG
Question about he comic: how and why did you decide to run THREE parallel stories at once, rather than focus on one of them? It's very clear that each storyline has loads of material to be an independent comic, and yet you've chosen the juggle all three - which is REALLY amazing.
-> The stories are all actually connected, so it'd make no sense to just do one without the others.
If I did a single-character comic it'd be someone entirely new.
Are there any LGBTQ characters aside from Tom that we've seen so far?
-> There's multiple representatives from all across the LGBTQ+ spectrum spread across the comic & future buffer. I'd wager at least three of them can be inferred from remarks or behavior within the comic.
How many 5 are Burk?
Questions about the comic.
Do you have any questions about the comic, characters or story?
Here's the place to ask them.
Author's Note: My answers will be ambiguous and frustrating.
Discord user probored pointed out that the comic's reached over 15.000 comments total.
Geez that's a ridiculously high number. xD
Award for arbitrary round number goes to "Someone":
15000: someone - Sunday, November 26 2017 - 12:53 PM
Hey, Felix. Here's the ultimate plan. Store the water. All of the water. That way you can cross on foot and get an insta-flood card; that can always be useful later.
A few people have asked me about this;
I basically skipped a number in my archive, there's no page missing; 955 IS 954.
I'll probably just upload an image under that name to fill that spot or ask penguin to fix it, no idea.
Best Protagonist vote
Discord chat server
I've been playing around with discord cause ... why not?
Cause I don't use mIRC much myself I'm considering replacing the on-site mirc client with a discord HoH server instead, found here:
Feel free to pop by and say hi!
Happy Holidays Hohers.
My comic's pages used to only be half as big?
How about when my old comic took hiatuses that sometimes lasted several months?
Hahahah, I've really gotten a hang of this whole updating on schedule thing haven't I?